1.29.2009

On Project Management...

I feel inclined to write tonight in a way I haven't in some time...stream of consciousness. Last week I was sitting at my desk and I thought about writing again, for the sake of writing. Maybe just to be a little creative? Anyways...

I joined the IEEE last week. The immediate goal is to gain access to some research for a proposal I am writing. But I can already see in the long term there is interesting material to explore. For instance, piles of documentation describing process steps in software development.

Um, the Sarah Silverman show is pretty funny. There is a part of me that is intensely interested in learning more about the 'other ways' to manage IT projects I have not explored.

Basically, I am an inveterate practitioner of the 'Waterfall Model'. I have slowly gained experience with this approach over the last four years and I am now teaching it to others. I also have some experience with the 'Rational Unified Process'. I've also read a little on 'agile' and sometimes borrow some of the philosophy for my own approach, though I have much to learn.

Yet, there are many, many more options I am just beginning to get interested in. I hope to look closer at Scrum over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, my big project is closing in on the end of the specifications/design phase as we prepare for development. Design went really well, we spent more time than ever ensuring we understood the requirements and expectations. The plan is to approach the development phase with a series of iterative cycles. I am pretty excited and optimistic for continued success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake,
I'm digging the blog!

For a more unconventional process check out 37Signals.. They published a book on the way they successfully launched their web applications. You can read it for free online. I am sure much of it applies to the web design/development process too.

https://gettingreal.37signals.com/